NewsArticlesAnnouncementAbout UsContacts
About us Contact

We are guided by what unites people

News
Articles
Announcement
About Us
Contacts

Copyright 2017-2026 ORIENT - NEWS AGENCY

About us | Contact |

Turkey asks Interpol for red notice against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

August 23, 2026 | 18:00 |284
Source: orient.tm

Turkey has asked Interpol to issue a red notice against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu following last month's arrest warrant on "genocide" charges, Turkish Justice Minister Akin Gürlek said on Friday.

When a state decides to pursue the leader of another country through international law enforcement channels, it goes far beyond ordinary legal proceedings. It becomes a political statement that can alter the dynamics of an entire region. Turkey, which for decades has been sharply critical of Israeli policy towards Palestinians, is making the next move — from words to action, trying to use international law as a weapon against the Israeli premier. The question is not just whether Interpol will respond to this request, but also how it will affect the fragile balance of power in the Middle East and the very idea of international justice.

In a post on social media platform X, Gürlek said the judicial process regarding the attack on activists from the international flotilla that set out to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza "continues with determination." The international flotilla sailed from Turkey in May, attempting to break Israel's blockade of Gaza and deliver aid to Palestinians, but was later intercepted by Israel, and those on board were subsequently deported.

Referring to the arrest warrant for Netanyahu issued on 14 July by an Istanbul court on "genocide" charges, the minister said a request for a red notice against Netanyahu had been sent to the Interior Ministry at the international level. He added that the relevant documents had also been forwarded to the Foreign Ministry for further action.

The move follows previous Turkish legal actions against Netanyahu. In November 2025, Turkey issued arrest warrants for Netanyahu and 36 others over alleged crimes in Gaza. "We will not allow the crimes committed in Gaza to be covered up or the perpetrators to be shielded by impunity," Gürlek said, adding that Turkey would use all available means under national and international law to bring the "perpetrators" to justice.

Turkey is not a member of the International Criminal Court, but it actively uses national courts to prosecute Israeli officials on charges of war crimes. An Interpol red notice is a request to law enforcement agencies of member countries to detain and extradite a person, but it is not an international arrest warrant and does not obligate states to act. Netanyahu, as the sitting Israeli prime minister, enjoys immunity in most jurisdictions, making the practical implementation of such a request unlikely. Nevertheless, the very fact of the appeal to Interpol has symbolic significance and increases international pressure on Israel.

As CCTV+ reports, Turkey's request to Interpol for a red notice against Netanyahu is an unprecedented move that could open a new chapter in international efforts to hold Israeli leaders accountable for actions in Gaza. Even if the red notice is not issued or remains without consequences, this démarche has already achieved its goal — drawing the world's attention to the ongoing conflict and calling into question the legitimacy of Israeli leadership on the international stage.

More news

tmcell
TNGIZD
toyota banner
orient mobil gosyndy
orient mobile ios
Bilelik HUB
https://atlas.com.tm/ru
Turkey asks Interpol for red notice against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

Turkey asks Interpol for red notice against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

18:00 August 23, 2026
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced retaliatory tariffs on US goods to take effect on September 8

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced retaliatory tariffs on US goods to take effect on September 8

16:00 August 23, 2026
Brazilian president in phone call with Trump rejects new US tariffs, urges dialogue

Brazilian president in phone call with Trump rejects new US tariffs, urges dialogue

14:01 August 23, 2026