Youth is the driver of a turn for the better

Youth is the driver of a turn for the better

Today, young people – schoolchildren, students and specialists who are at the very beginning of their professional activity – are the drivers of reforms and changes that make life on the planet better. In this context, the environmental issues are of special attention as the youth enthusiastically implements changes in global significance.

At the Central Asian Youth Leadership Program, the youth plays the key role. The best environmental experts from Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan delivered speeches to maximally cover all issues of environmental education and training and to inspire young people to change their consumer attitude towards the world.

Representative of the State Committee for Water Management of Turkmenistan Akmurad Yylkybaev was one of the speakers. He focused the public attention on the role that youth plays in the country. The adoption of comprehensive steps to improve the ecological culture, respect for nature, as well as the popularization and perception of national heritage are important component.

It comes close with the message of other speakers, who appeal to youth not to be afraid of being alone on the way to “green” the planet and to fight against climate change using all possible methods, starting, first, with themself.

In order for young leaders to immediately apply some of the knowledge gained, Dr.Artur Vakhitov, GEF-CSO Eastern Europe and Central Asia Network Regional Coordinator, presented to the participants some the most low-cost and simple energy-saving technologies that can be applied not only on farms and summer cottages , but also at workplaces and in apartment buildings.

As it turned out, it is possible to take care of nature and save resources without the detriment of everyday lifestyle and your “pocket”: just repair a leaking faucet to save about 180 thousand liters of water monthly, or install heat-reflecting screens (ordinary foil) behind batteries and heaters to increase heating efficiency and direct it inside the room, saving energy, or cook with a lid closed to speed up the cooking process and do not waste a gas. There are thousands such easy ways. It is worth making the first step.

The entrepreneur Denis Ten, the founder of EcoLifeStoryService, presented a clear example of the application of green technologies on his own farm. Everyone was impressed a lot.

There are many interesting things to learn: the biogas plant processes the waste of farmed animals – rabbits, quails, and ducks. The heat from the plant heats the tank with trout, which filters the water. This water is supplied by drip irrigation to irrigate several beds of plants. Gas from the plant accumulates in cylinders, while biomass is delivered for processing into fertilizer … for worms! The decomposed organic matter is used at the farm for cultivation animal feed; while the rest of fodder is for sale.

And then the cycle starts from the beginning again. Here it is – a “green” business approach, beneficial to both nature and man.

“You always have to find out a problem,” Denis emphasizes during the question-answer session. “First of all, solve the problem that you have in your household via environment-friendly technologies: for example, you don’t have water or feedstuff, or you don’t have place for waste products … These are the issues that you should start to solve using green technologies. Then you can understand what to improve and what else to apply.

The flexible way of thinking of the younger generation is a sample for the older ones. Seeing that youth are happy and, most important, successful in implementation of eco-positive steps, adults join them, learn from them and contribute to the climate change fight, which is vital for the Central Asian region.

“It is important for us to achieve the level of auto-synchronization, when 5 percent of the population begins to do something that they have not done before. For example, sort the garbage and take part of the waste for recycling. And then, upon reaching these 5 percent level, the rest of 95 percent will joi this trend. A small part will change everything. The main thing is to achieve this indicator,” Pakizat Saylaubekova, representative of the Almaty Center for Sustainable Development, emphasizes.

The participants of the Central Asian Leadership Programme (CALP) can be these 5 percent innovators. The 2019 edition is the 10th anniversary Training Course, and since its beginning, a number of the CALP graduates are actively involved into activities to promote environmental initiatives at the national level and increase the awareness of the population in their home countries.

Maya AMANMURADOVA