Recently, the Interdepartmental Working Group on the development of the National Strategy of Turkmenistan for the development of renewable energy sources held the 1st meeting in Ashgabat. The working group, established by the decree of the President of Turkmenistan on June 26, was assigned a task to develop a Draft National Strategy of Turkmenistan for the development of renewable energy sources (RES) in joint cooperation with international organizations.
Thus, at the 1st meeting of the Interdepartmental Working Group, representatives of the project “Sustainable Cities in Turkmenistan: Integrated Green Urban Development in Ashgabat and Awaza” proposed the Draft National Strategy. The presented document sets the following goals and objectives:
– identification of priority directions for the development of renewable energy sources in Turkmenistan, taking into account the existing potential;
– promotion of state and private sector activities in the production, consumption, sale of heat and electricity using RES;
– diversification of energy resources and ensure energy security for Turkmenistan;
– supply of remote regions with low-cost and clean energy;
– quantity reduction of greenhouse gas emissions to the environment.
UNDP will continue to actively participate in the development of the Draft National Strategy of Turkmenistan for the development of renewable energy sources.
In the future, it is planned to hold a series of training seminars with the participation of leading international and national experts with extensive experience in the field of energy-efficient design and green construction. Organization specialists will hold lectures for students of the State Energy Institute of Turkmenistan on the operation of solar panels in the climatic conditions of Turkmenistan.